Have you always had an interest for the arts but want to put it to a practical use that will earn you a decent wage? Well, then it seems like being a graphic designer is the perfect job for you. Graphic designers are able to create the designs of products, websites, and other media in order to entice consumers using both computer programs and physical drawings. They are able to control everything from the shape of the box to the color and font of the text. All of that is done to convey a certain feeling with the consumer viewing the product, hopefully driving sales.
Sadly, graphic designers need a bachelor’s degree in graphic design or similar major. This is the biggest con for those already in or those who have already graduated college because going back to take more classes and spend more money is the last thing on most peoples mind. Once you get your degree you have a choice of working on their own or for a company. The average salary for a graphic designer is $48,700 according to the BLS. About 1/5 graphic designers work on their own. And graphic designers are able to make up to $20,000 more per year. However, if you work on your own you will have much more competition in getting yourself out to potential customers. In order to demonstrate your creativity and skill you should have a portfolio that shows only your best drawings and designs. And hopefully your designs and ideas are able to convince either the company or the client to hire you on.
Once you have been hired, you need to be able to adjust to the deadline heavy work schedule and be able to work until the job is done. Also, be prepared for a growing amount of competition as the BLS estimates the job outlook for graphic designers to only increase by 4%, which is less than average. One aspect to a graphic designer that’s different from other positions is that the graphic designer must quickly adapt to the changing design trends. Also you must stay up to date on computer design programs, which are always changing in their complexity and ability.
For those looking for a highly competitive career that involves a mixture of artistic ability with a high amount of varying projects; for those who like drawing and using their creativity, but want an actual career to support themselves or their family, then it seems like being a graphic designer is a great career if you are willing to put yourself through a four year degree and are willing to constantly adapt to a changing environment.
The internet and online world plays a significant as well as quite a big role in everyday life in this day and age. That being said practically EVERY business out there is in need or or will extremely benefit from having a business website. In fact it is virtually unheard of to have a business especially a small business and not have a customized website to advertise and promote your company and/or brand. Not only will your website provide crucial information about your business and services to potential customers, it will also help your business to be found in a sea of other businesses similar to yours. Check out list of 5 reasons why a business website is a must and so beneficial.
Benefits of a Business Website
- Quality of Business- These days 90% of consumers will tell you that they choose a business based on the testimonials and reviews that they can find online about the said business. By providing reviews, comments and testimonials from previously satisfied consumers on your website you are showcasing the potential of your services and catching the eye of future customers.
- Expectation- Now that the world has gone digital and the internet plays such a huge roll in everyday life your customers expect you to have a website. Should they search for your business and not find one they deem this as odd and 9 out of 10 times will look elsewhere for a similar business no matter how reputable you may be.
- Competition- Competition in business is to be expected of course, but how you deal with it as well as stay ahead of it plays a huge roll in your businesses success. If your competitors have websites and you don’t you are already behind and chances are will lose a lot of customers to them solely based on the fact that you are not able to be found in the online world.
- Research- it has been shown that 81% of consumers do online research before choosing a business or committing to a product. With a responsive website your business and services are able to be found in online search engines and thus become a competitor while potential clientele is conducting their research. Again it goes back to being found in the online world.
- Control Your Image- By creating a custom website designed especially for your business you are able to showcase your business, product and/or services in the way you would like them to be seen. Basically you get to choose how you brand your business image and how you come across to your potential clientele. This in turn gives you a little bit more control in the business world.
While there are numerous reasons why a business website is not only crucial and so beneficial to your small business these highlights we provided are some of the top reasons. Explore the world of websites and different website building platforms before you set out to develop your business website and see what will work for you the best!
Hello All! Welcome to our site on the importance of web and graphic design for small businesses. We created this site in hopes of sharing posts about why web design and/or graphic design is an essential part of small business. We hope to shed light and knowledge on how to go about getting started with a website as well as working with a graphic design specialist on creating the perfect platform for your business. Stay tuned for our first post!